How to Make a Vanilla Syrup
Yes, you can easily buy vanilla syrups in stores these days, but if you want to elevate your drink, or you can’t find a decent one in the shops, you can make your own, very easily.
Essentially, you are going to follow the processes for making a standard Sugar Syrup or Rich Simple Syrup and add a vanilla pod to the mix.
This should take… 2 minutes.
- Cut vanilla pod
Cut a vanilla pod in half down the length of it, then using the knife, scrape out the inside of both halves of the pod and add that sticky deliciousness into your mix of sugar and water. Do not throw away the vanilla pod casings.
- Measure sugar
Measure 2 parts sugar
- Add water
Measure 1 part water and add to the pan with 2 parts sugar.
- Scrape the seeds
Make sure to work the mixture thoroughly enough to not only dissolve the sugar, but to also break up the sticky vanilla seeds into the syrup. Once complete, add the two scraped out vanilla pods as well.
- Warm and Stir
Warm and stir until the sugar is dissolved, syrup is clear’n glossy and vanilla’s evenly distributed.
- Add to bottle
Once it looks lovely and glossy, pour it into a labeled sterilized bottle, including the vanilla pod halves. Do this while it’s warm as it will pour more easily.
Let it cool completely then close and store in the fridge.
If you want a “cheat” homemade vanilla syrup that’s even easier to make.
- Just buy a bottle of simple syrup
- Slice a vanilla pod in half. Scrape out the inside of it and add it to the bottle of syrup along with the 2 halves of the vanilla pod.
- Make sure the lid is securely on, then throw the bottle into your dishwasher for a couple of cycles to warm the syrup and help infuse the vanilla flavour.
- Shake well and you’re sorted!
- If you don’t have a dishwasher, you can pour out the syrup and warm it with the vanilla in a pan, then pour it all back into the bottle.
Download Our FREE Cocktail Ingredients Guide
And Get Nerdy With Our Latest And Greatest Recipes, Stories & Tips