The Black Manhattan is a modern twist on the classic Manhattan formula by Todd Smith from San Francisco back to 2005 while working at Bourbon & Branch. Creating this darker, heavier, bittersweet variation.
To make the Black Manhattan you basically switch out the Sweet Vermouth of the classic Manhattan recipe for amaro. If you want to be true to Todd’s creation you use Averna for the Amaro, but much like choosing your preferred vermouth in a classic Manhattan, use what you like to drink. Read More
It also goes beautifully with a cold crisp beer on the side. So try mixing a half sized Black Manhattan, pour yourself a small ice cold beer, sit back and enjoy!
- 60 ml AMERICAN WHISKY (2 parts)
- 30 ml AMARO AVERNA (1 part)
- 1 DASH ANGOSTURA BITTERS
- 1 DASH ORANGE BITTERS
How to make it
- 1 – Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- 2 – Fill the mixing glass with ice and stir ingredients together.
- 3 – Stir until ingredients are icy cold and just enough water has been added from ice-melt to fully open flavours.
- 4 – Strain into glass.
- 5 – Garnish with a cherry and a discarded twist of orange if you like, serve!
Shopping list calculator
As always, don’t forget to show us what you made by tagging us!
@Candra_Drinks #MakeBetterDrinks #CandraDrinks