A delicious, incredibly refreshing and simple cocktail that was a mainstay of cocktail menus in the late 90’s and early 00’s but has fallen off the map more recently. However, once you learn how to make a good Caipiriñha you’ll forever love them.
A traditional Brazilian drink, Caipiriñhas are made with Cachaça, a unique, flavoursome, dry and grassy spirit made by distilling pressed sugarcane juice.Read More
- 60 ml CACHAÇA (2 parts)
- 30 ml 1 WHOLE LIME (1 part)
- 15 ml CASTER / BAKERS SUGAR (1/2 PART)
How to make it
- 1 – Trim the top and bottom off a lime then cut into 8 cubes.
- 2 – Add pieces of lime to a lowball glass. Yes, a whole lime cut into cubes, NOT lime juice! You need the powerful flavours of the oils in the lime peel that will be extracted as the limes are crushed with the sugar.
- 3 – Add the sugar. Make sure the sugar is fine (caster/bakers) so that it dissolves into the liquid of the drink. If the sugar just sinks, the drink will be sour and unpleasant. Also, classically it’s made with white or unbleached sugar, not brown. (You can use rich simple syrup if you don't have sugar, but sugar is abrasive and helps to cut into the lime and release essential oils from the skin of the lime).
- 4 – Muddle lime pieces and sugar together using a muddler (or rolling pin if you don't have one). Lean onto the muddler to press and grind the juice and oils out of the lime pieces in the glass. Slow and fim, press and twist. Don’t whack the limes or everything will just fly out of the glass!
- 5 – Add Cachaça.
- 6 – Fold in half a glass of crushed ice and churn ingredients and ice together to dissolve sugar, make the drink cold and add the necessary dilution through a little ice-melt to open the flavours of the drink.
- 7 – Taste test you drink!
- 8 – Add more crushed ice until it piles up above the rim of the glass, for both aesthetic reasons and to keep the drink icy cold until the end. Serve & enjoy!
Shopping list calculator
As always, don’t forget to show us what you made by tagging us!
@Candra_Drinks #MakeBetterDrinks #CandraDrinks