The Irish Coffee is one of the most iconic looking drinks, with its dark black body and a perfect thick white head. Yet to achieve that iconic look, there are a couple of insider tricks to get there, aerating the cream and dissolving the sugar!
It is said that it was created in 1943 by Joe Sheridan, chef at Foynes Port near Limerick, Ireland. On a winter’s night a flight had to turn back due to bad weather and Joe mixed up this heady and warming concoction to soothe the woes of the stranded passengers. Read More
Learn to make your own stunning Irish coffee with these top tips:
Aerating the cream – Lightly whisk it. Put it in a shaker or a bottle, and shake it. The important thing is you add air to it. However, we place strong emphasis on the LIGHTLY, you still want to be able to pour the cream into the glass.
Dissolving the sugar – Sugar isn’t just added for sweetness, there’s a higher purpose. Dissolved sugar creates a denser liquid that will be easier for the cream to layer on top. A good trick is to get the coffee, whiskey, sugar mix spinning in the glass so that as you pour the cream on top, it distributes evenly across the surface. Using a spoon will also break the fall of the cream onto the mix and help give a better separation.
- 45 ml IRISH WHISKEY (1 1/2 parts)
- 45 ml ESPRESSO (1 1/2 parts)
- 90 ml HOT WATER (3 parts)
- 7.5 ml SOFT BROWN SUGAR (heaped tsp)
- 30 ml HEAVY CREAM (1 part)
How to make it
- 1 – Add sugar, hot water and espresso to glass and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- 2 – Add whiskey – we like to be able to taste the whiskey in balance with the other ingredients, but if you want to add a little less, adjust to your taste.
- 3 – Lightly whip the cream.
- 4 – Stir the base mix to get it spinning, then pour the lightly whipped cream over a spoon onto the surface of the liquid!
- 5 – Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the top of the cream to garnish and serve.
Shopping list calculator
|Soft brown sugar||0||0||ml|
As always, don’t forget to show us what you made by tagging us!
@Candra_Drinks #MakeBetterDrinks #CandraDrinks