The Sloe Gin fizz is, not surprisingly, a sloe gin version of the classic gin fizz. As with any fizz, you can include egg white (or aquafaba) to add a rich and fluffy foam, or choose to omit it. Both work well, but there is something delightful about the rich white foam sat atop the vibrantly pink and fruity body of the drink.
Sloe gin is lower in alcohol strength than classic gin or other cocktail bases, which delivers a lower alcohol cocktail that was widely drunk as a morning hangover cure. If you want to go the other way and make a slightly drier and boozier version, split the base between gin and sloe gin. Read More
The Sloe Gin Fizz is the most famous of all sloe gin cocktails and was first recorded in print in Sunset magazine (1898) as a perfect way to refresh yourself in the warmer months.
Depending where you are in the world, you may not have too many sloe gins to choose from, which is a shame, because sloe gin is a delicious and traditional cocktail ingredient.
It’s a liqueur made by steeping flavoursome but sharp and astringent sloe berries into a base of gin. After months of steeping, the liquid is filtered and sweetened to produce a complex, rich and jammy liquid.
Traditionally well made sloe gins will also have a pleasant almond note from the berries stone. Of the commercially produced sloe gins that you might be able to find more easily, you can trust both Ford’s and Plymouth’s versions to steer you right.
- 60 ml SLOE GIN (2 parts)
- 20 ml LEMON JUICE (2/3 part)
- 10 ml SUGAR SYRUP (1/3 part)
- 90 ml SPARKLING WATER (3 parts)
- 1 EGG WHITE
How to make it
- 1 – Add all ingredients except sparkling water to a shaker
- 2 – Shake without ice first to create a rich foam
- 3 – Add ⅔ of the sparkling water to the highball glass
- 4 – Fill shaker with ice and shake ingredients hard again
- 5 – Fine strain the cocktail into the highball glass with the sparkling water. The fine strainer breaks larger bubbles ensuring a rich and glossy foam
- 6 – Wait a few seconds, then add the rest of the sparkling water so that the foamy top of the drink pokes up above the rim of the glass
- 7 – Traditionally garnish with a twist of lemon and serve, but a twist of orange works even better here in our opinion
Shopping list calculator
|Fresh Leon Juice||0||0||ml|
As always, don’t forget to show us what you made by tagging us!
@Candra_Drinks #MakeBetterDrinks #CandraDrinks