The Tequila Sunrise, a disco cocktail from the darker days of cocktail culture. Maybe a recipe that should be left in the wastelands? But we thought, surely there’s a good recipe there just waiting to be written! So, we took up the challenge to create a Tequila Sunrise you might actually want to make!
One of the problems with the original Tequila Sunrise recipe is the use of both orange juice and grenadine. Grenadine is a sweet fruit syrup and orange juice, while delicious, is a softer, sweeter style of citrus juice. Unlike lemon, lime or even grapefruit juice, orange doesn’t have the acidity to give a cocktail the structure it needs to stop it from being overly sweet and flabby on the palate. Read More
With that in mind, we decided to remove the grenadine in place of fresh pomegranate juice which is dry and slightly acidic. To make sure the drink had a backbone and structure, we added a little fresh lime juice and balanced both these juices with a little sugar.
It wouldn’t be a ‘Sunrise’ without orange juice of course. So we took fresh orange juice and gave it a dry shake to fluff it up before adding it to the drink. What you’re left with is a disco drink that’s very much worth making, even in these enlightened cocktail times!
- 60 ml SILVER TEQUILA (2 parts)
- 15 ml PRESSED POMEGRANATE JUICE (1/2 part)
- 15 ml FRESH LIME JUICE (1/2 part)
- 15 ml SUGAR SYRUP (1/2 part)
- 90 ml FRESH ORANGE JUICE (3 parts)
How to make it
- 1 – Add all ingredients, except for orange juice, to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice
- 2 – Shake and strain into highball glass
- 3 – Empty out cocktail shaker and then add orange juice and shake hard without ice
- 4 – Fill the highball glass with then gently pour over the orange juice. This should give you the graduated colour change from red at the bottom of the glass to orange at the top, ie, a sunrise!
- 5 – Sit the orange wedge, upturned, on top of the glass to garnish and serve
Shopping list calculator
|Pressed Pomegranate Juice||0||0||ml|
|Fresh Lime Juice||0||0||ml|
|Fresh Orange Juice||0||0||ml|
As always, don’t forget to show us what you made by tagging us!
@Candra_Drinks #MakeBetterDrinks #CandraDrinks